Is it safe to use Itopride during breastfeeding or lactation?
What is Itopride?
Itopride is a drug’s name that is responsible to treat and release the symptoms of gastrointestinal diseases. The examples of the diseases are nausea, vomiting, heartburn and also stomach ache. It is also used to treat any indigestion problem particularly for anyone that has the feeling of stomach fullness right after or during a meal. Itopride is usually found and sold under the brand Ganaton. You can easily find this drug over the counter at your local pharmacies, health stores or even on online pharmacy websites.
How do I take Itopride?
It can usually be found in a tablet form. Each Ganaton tablet will contain 50 mg of Itopride. Usually, the dose for the prescription is decided by your doctor. To help your doctor understand your dose better, you can give some important information regarding your health such as your current medication, disease, overall health condition and your illness severity. All of these elements will help your doctor to determine what are the suitable doses for you. However, the usual dose would be once tablet (50 mg) per day and need to be taken 15 minutes before a meal. To help remember your daily dose, it is recommended for you to have a fixed timetable on when to take the drug. Make sure you understand your doctor’s advice and read the instruction label before taking the drug. This is to make sure that you do not miss any precautions that were stated beforehand as this drug has its own precautions.
What are the precautions before taking Itopride? Is it safe to use it during breastfeeding or lactation?
There are a lot of questions that arise about the use of Itopride on certain conditions. The most popular concern would be the use of Itopride during breastfeeding or lactation. Can it be used? Is it safe? These questions arise because the mother is usually worried that the drug’s substance is passed down to their child through the milk. Well, the answer is yes. It is safe to take Itopride if you are a breastfeeding mother. As of now, there is still no concrete evidence that says Itopride is harmful and cannot be used during breastfeeding or lactation. Hence, it is safe to say that any breastfeeding lady is free to use Itopride without the need to worry about their child’s health. What are other precautions that you need to be aware of? Please keep reading to find the list of possible Itopride precautions.
· Itopride can cause sleepiness. Hence, it is advisable to restrain yourself from doing anything that requires mental focus such as driving because it might harm yourself.
· Anyone that has an allergy to Itopride or any substance stated on the drug’s label must not take this drug. It can worsen an allergic reaction.
· This drug can only be used for gastrointestinal problems that was stated above. It cannot be used for treating any gastrointestinal bleeding disorder as it will worsen the condition. Please read the label carefully before proceeding to take this drug.
· Itopride is safe to use with alcohol. As of now, there is still no concrete evidence that says Itopride can cause a drug’s reaction if taken with alcohol. However, to be sure of this statement, you can choose to refrain yourself from taking any alcohol when you are on this drug.
· People with chronic medical conditions such as diabetes, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, liver problem, kidney diseases or others need to consult their doctor before taking this drug. Make sure you tell your doctor about your current medical condition to avoid any confusion.